4 Primary Causes of Groundwater Contamination

Throughout the world, many people rely on groundwater. In fact, groundwater is the main drinking water source for nearly 50% of United States residents. Considering the location of this water, it’s no wonder that groundwater contamination often occurs. It’s wise to know more about these contaminants of concern. With that in mind, here are four types of groundwater contaminants.

  1. Chemical Spills

    There are a wide of companies that create man-made chemicals. These man-made chemicals must be transported in order to reach their intended destination. Unfortunately, accidents can happen during these trips that cause catastrophic results. In fact, statistics show that nearly 16,000 chemical spills occur annually.
  2. Motor Oil Drippings

    Not all types of groundwater contamination are from accidents. Unfortunately, many drivers are often unknowingly contaminating groundwater sources. This is because vehicles often drip fluids while on the road, especially motor oil. In certain cases, vehicles are leaking large amounts of motor oil which makes this problem even worse. As motor oil drips from a vehicle, it has nowhere else to go but the ground below.
  3. Worn Down Landfills

    In most cases, the trash generated throughout this country ends up in landfills. Having landfills is often a source of debate among people. Regardless of how you feel about these items, they’re prone to sustaining damage. It’s nearly impossible for these items to remain in perfect condition forever. Unfortunately, this creates a slew of potential hazards for any nearby groundwater supplies. As walls and flooring of a landfill erode, the materials inside begin to fall out.
  4. Protective Road Salt

    Winter is a season commonly know for unsafe weather conditions. In addition to dropping temperatures, snow and ice often blanket roadways across the country. Before this happens, city crews often take to the streets to apply what’s known as road salt. This salt is used to melt snow and ice from roadways while giving automobiles better traction. Eventually, the snow and ice will begin to naturally melt away. After this happens, these salts often make their way into nearby ground water supplies.

In conclusion, it’s important to learn about several types of groundwater contaminants. In order to avoid these contaminants, it’s wise to partner with a remediation service. This type of service uses groundwater remediation technology to find out which contaminants are present. Statistics show that only 1% of the Earth’s water supply is safe for drinking. Fortunately, groundwater remediation helps to ensure that the remaining 99% of this water ends up being safe to consume.